Thursday, May 25, 2006

LAW ENFORCEMENT IS WATCHING YOU

The Pearl Police were out at the nexus on Airport Road and other areas on Highway 80. They were checking to see if you were wearing your seat belt and to give you a warning. Beginning on Friday, you can be ticketed if you are not wearing your seat belt.

I'll be the first to tell you that wearing a seat belt saves lives. I'm living proof of that. In July 1992, I had an auto accident at the intersection of North Ridgewood and Northside Drive in Jackson, Miss. A car tire blew out and I hit a telephone pole head-on. If I had not worn a seat belt, I would've gone right through the window and had been instantly killed. As it turned out, I had a simple fracture on my left leg, some bruises and a chipped back tooth.

But I am totally opposed to the government FORCING me to wear one. I am above the age of 21 and I can decide for myself if I want to be a jerk and risk my life. In Pearl, there is enough for the police to do without checking on drivers wearing a seat belt. The police might want to police the illegal immigrant areas a lot better instead of worrying if Granny is wearing a seat belt.

Another thing that concerns me is the slow but sure loss of freedom we have. Unless it directly affects another person's life or liberty, government has no right to force us to do things we do not want to do. You can rest assured there will be an effort to ban drivers from talking on cell phones. Sure, it's dangerous and stupid to talk on a cell phone while driving. (I have a cell phone but NEVER talk on it while driving.) But unless you hit me, I have no problem with you being a fool. If you DO hit me, I'll sue you for every penny you have. Should government monitor this, too? What about eating while driving? Or fixing your hair? Look, I know of a CPA who had a fax machine in his car and yakked on the cell phone while driving and faxing!

Be careful while driving this weekend. And buckle up!!

No comments: