Tuesday, June 06, 2006

U.S. Senate Democratic Primary

This is the third Democratic primary in which I've voted. In 2002, there was no Republican primary for the U.S. Senate or Congress, so I voted im the Democratic Primary. I voted for the late James "Bootie" Hunt. He lost. In the 2004 Presidential Democratic Primary, I voted for Howard Dean. And today I voted for Erik Fleming.

I voted for Fleming because he is a staunch pro-lifer. He even attended the Mississippi Right-to-Life banquet. I was going to vote for Bill Bowlin. I sent him an e-mail asking him where he stood on abortion. I never got a reply. The other two candidates did not comment on abortion. Also, Fleming has been a state representative for six years. I don't agree with him on a lot of the issues, but at least he's opposed to abortion. I've listened to him on the "Kim Wade Show" on WJNT 1180 (which airs from 5-6PM on weekdays). He's got some good ideas. Kim Wade does not flinch from his conservative views and he has some very good guests. Fleming has been on his shows a few times. Wade is one of the most listened to drive-by talk show hosts. He is one of the funniest and the most intelligent talk show hosts I have ever listened to.

Fleming will probably win, but there may be a runoff. No matter who the nominee is, the candidate will have no chance against the incumbent Sen. Trent Lott.

Whenever there is a Republican primary I vote in it. But if there is no GOP primary and there is a Democratic primary, I'll vote in that. That is the tragedy of not having party registration in Mississippi. I have known Democratic municipal officials vote in the GOP primary--even if there is a Democratic primary. There should be party registration in the state and a closed primary. But that will never happen here.

No comments: